Community Schemes Ombud Service (CSOS)
010 593 0533

This section covers FAQ's and Answers around the new CSOS Acts & Regulations that came into effect on 7 October 2016. We urge all NAMA members to familiarize themselves with the new Acts & Regulations as soon as possible.

Registration of Schemes

Q: What is the registration process?

In terms of section 5(3) of the regulations on the Community Schemes Ombud Service, all community schemes are required to file a registration with the CSOS. The registration form requires the community scheme to detail their domicile, governance documents, the executive committee, managing agent, the financials and authorized representative. Registration can only be filed using the CS1 Form.

Q: Where do you get the registration Form CS1?

The CS1 form can be downloaded here or accessed from the CSOS website All scheme governance documentation is referenced under “Community Schemes Governance Forms”. Community Schemes can download the Form, fill in the details, attach the required Annexures and email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or hand deliver at of any of the CSOS offices.

Q: Can we register online?

Currently the CSOS does not have an online registration process. In future, we envision a system of online registrations in order to improve operational efficiency.

Q: What will happen if the Scheme does not want to register with CSOS?

In terms of the CSOS Act all schemes must register with the CSOS. Failure to comply with the provision of the Act is a Criminal Offence. The Schemes Executive might be held to account.

Q: Will there be a fee payable to register a community scheme?

There is no fee applicable for the registration of a community scheme.

Q: The form CS1 requires the details of the Managing Agent to be attached – is that the Certificate of Incorporation; or the EAAB Fidelity Certificate or what document is this?

The Certificate of Incorporation is required.

Q: Who must sign the declaration on form CS1?

The person authorised to sign on behalf of the scheme must sign the declaration. This could be a managing agent, chairperson of the Trustee or Chairperson of the Board of Directors.

Q: On the registration form CS1 in Section 8 – you ask for a copy of the title deed – which title deed is this?

The deed issued by the Deeds Office.

Q: One of the documents required in the CS1 form is Certificate of Establishment, in instances where this document does not exist, what can schemes do?

Community schemes can apply to the Deeds Registry for a copy of the Certificate of Establishment.